Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spoke too soon

I just wrote what 3 weeks ago about our life as of lately? I wrote about Ty getting released from Ward Clerk and all the jazz. Well I spoke WAY too soon!

We got a call from the stake secretary on March 13 (when we were in Gunnison) asking if we could meet with the stake president on Wednesday. We speculated that Ty was going to get called as the Finance Clerk (since he works at the bank you would think that right?), or a counselor in the Elder's quorum. They say they don't like having two big callings in a young family. So those were really reasonable callings, so we thought.

We went to the interview and President Olsen pulled Ty in first. They were in there about 10 minutes, and then I get called in. He asked me how our marriage was, how Ty was as a father, and how he was as a husband. I answered he is great (and he is fabulous).


Then he looks at Ty and says... We want to extend a calling to you to... pause for effect



Serve on the High Counsel.




WHAT?!?! 


I am sure we both looked like deer in the headlights. I hear Ty take a deep breath. I start crying.
We didn't answer for a good minute or so. It came as a total shocker to the both of us.

President Olsen then explains that he knows that I am Primary President and he knows we have a young family, but he felt strongly that this is where Ty needs to be. He gave us a few days to pray and think about it. We leave the office and the first thing Ty says is, "They want me?! I look like I'm 17." After we took a minute to let it soak in, we both realized that this is where he need to serve and felt at peace with it. He had a training the other night and they told him that they wanted him a long time ago, but it just wasn't the time yet.

It was a neat experience to watch his dad ordain him to the office of a High Priest. The spirit was so strong and I do know that this is where Ty is suppose to serve.  He is an amazing man and I'm lucky that I get to be there by his side to support him and receive his support as well.


So if you are lucky enough to live in the Ashley Stake, you will be hearing from the new high counsel-man TY JENSEN. I am sure it will not be "dry counsel" if Ty is speaking.


And by the way he is the youngest on the counsel as of now. He is only 28 (almost 29). I know the Lord has great things in store for Ty.

4 comments:

Rio said...

Wow, High Counsel! Yikes! Haha. He is way too young :) That's really cool though, and I bet he will do a great job! Good luck to you though, being at church by yourself with two youngsters will be tough, but you can do it!! Make friends with the young women in your ward :)

Erin said...

That's awesome!!! He will liven up the group of those old farts ;) My parents are in Ashley Stake, so hopefully I'll eventually get to hear him speak. How fun!!

JWPhillips said...

Your family is going to be blessed for both your faithfulness. Ty is going to do such an amazing job. He will be a fun speaker to listen to.

Jelena said...

Wow! Richard told me this the other night, and I about fell of my chair...don't you have to be a grandpa before you are called to high counsel? Apparently not! He'll be great at it! And I know you can handle it...You're Awesome!