We have always known that my mom was adopted. Also both of her brothers are adopted. We have always asked her if she wanted to meet her birth mother. She has always said that her mom is her mom and that she doesn't necessarily want to meet her birth mom. She has said if she ever did get a chance to meet her she would want to thank her for giving her up for adoption and that she respected her.
My mom knew that her mother was a young girl and came to Vernal to live with family while she was pregnant. She delivered her there and then left and went back to where ever she was from.
And now the story picks up in August 2019. Ancestry DNA has been around for a few years. You spit in a tube, send it off and then your results give you your background. Like where you are originally from. I am 59% from england, wales, and northwestern europe. 18% ireland 7 scotland. It also give you DNA matches from other people that have sent in their spit. My mom had done this probably 3-4 years ago and so her information was in the system. It linked me to my mom with a match of 3,471 cM. It linked me to my Aunt Diedra on the Massey side with a 1,711. And then I had a match with a person named K.G. with a 1,873 match. I thought to myself ohh my goodness I have found a sisters\ of my moms because I thought with the numbers being so close to my aunt deed's that it must be an aunt. I kind of freaked out a bit and called my sister. Told her what I had found and I said do I bring this up to mom? Both of us didn't feel like it was time. I kept this little piece of info in my back pocket until I felt like I needed to share it with mom.
I waited until our trip to San Fran in december to bring it up. We were talking about genealogy and looking at our family trees on our phones. I thought to myself now is the time. I sent a quick prayer up and then launched into it. I told her and showed her what I had found. I told her I don't know who this K.G is. I had done some more digging and found out there was a family tree with Gardner as the husband. I couldn't look at K.G.'s info because she was still alive. I could see that her parents had passed and then also her husband had passed away. We talked through it and then she said she would kind of let it be.
Then in January I read a book about adoptive adults finding their biological families. It sparked another thing in my mind/heart and I felt like I needed to talk to mom about it again. We were at her house and I said mom I don't know why I feel like we need to talk through this again, but I feel like we do. I had her open up her account to see what her relationship with K.G. was. When we opened her account up and we looked into it we realized that K.G. is her mother not her sister. It said that K.G's account was managed by a girl's who had a username of Whimseyl. We figured out Whimsey is her sister. When we looked at mom's inbox we saw that she had a message from whimsey. We both looked at each other like WHAT?! We looked at the date of when it was sent and she had sent it 3 years ago. In the email she said that she saw that they had the same last name of Garnder and that she thought that they were related through her dad and wanted to know if mom had any more info about the Gardner's. We felt like we needed to tell her that we aren't related through the Gardner but that K.G. is their mother. We wrote it very carefully because we didn't know if she knew about mom or not. We were so worried that we were going to disrupt the family because we didn't now if she knew about mom or not.
We only had to wait a few days and she wrote back that after she wrote the email that she figured out who mom was. Her mom had told her about my mom and that she was afraid that she had disrupted our family. K.G. is Karen who is my mom's mom. Whimsey is Lynette and she is I think 3 years younger than my mom. My mom also has a half brother. We don't know much about why mom was put up for adoption. But in the first email mom said she wanted to know medical history because of mom's cancer gene. Lynette has said that cancer is pretty prominent in that side. Lynette has never been married and works as a nurse. She seems very open to communication and is fine with however slowly mom wants to go.
Mom did also tell Lynette to share with Karen that she is grateful for her and that she isn't mad at her. Lynette wrote back that her mom was so relieved to hear that and that she has always worried about mom and if she was happy and ok. It is crazy to know that we have some answers now. We will see where this all leads and what comes to be. Lynette said in one of her emails that she knew that she would some how find my mom. I guess she didn't know if mom was a girl or boy. We don't know if Karen ever met mom really when she gave birth to her. Hopefully more to the story will come about.
I jumped on Facebook and found them. I found a few pictures and I think mom and lynette do look alike and I feel like mom looks like Karen when Karen was younger.



No comments:
Post a Comment