Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Oscar

I don't think I have ever mentioned Oscar on this blog. Oscar is Ty's dog that he got when he was dating Chelsea Roth (his ex-fiance', yes he must have a thing for Chelsie's). When he got Oscar, the dog was already a little over a year old, so we figured Oscar was about 64. Oscar has been around for a long time, and was one of the dogs that I didn't think was ever going to die. He even had gotten hit by  car when he was younger and survived. He seemed to have 9 lives. 

He was a jerk. No one really liked him except Ty and vise versa. He barked at everyone and for the longest time as well. When we moved into our first house we brought Oscar to live with us and he was super annoying. If you can't tell already, I didn't care for Oscar very much. He would get into the garbages if we left the house. He would run away and chase the neighbors cat if we didn't shut him in. Our yard was mostly fenced in except over a little bridge that went over to the drive way. We tried and tried and tried to make a little fence with a dog gate but Oscar would always get out. We had to put him in the garage finally. He also peed all over everything too when we were gone. So needless to say when he ran away to Debbie's house the second time that became his permeant home. Which was nuts he didn't get hit then because Debbie lived about 3 miles away and he would have had to cross main street. But I do have to give him one good remark. He was always so patient with the kids. He seemed to sense that he needed to be and the kids didn't mind him at all. Emmy on this last trip even called out for him, Osca.. and that is how all my kids called him when they were little. 

Oscar has been slowing down. The last few times we have gone to Vernal we can tell he is getting old. When we showed up on the Monday, July 3rd, he seemed to be doing fine. He was his normal barking Oscar. He was so excited to see Ty like he usually is too. But every day he seemed to slow more and more down while we were there. Thursday, he wasn't walking very well and seemed to have no energy. Debbie text Ty that morning because she had left for work super early that Oscar slept out in the garage because he couldn't make it up the stairs to come inside to the kennel. Ty thought that maybe it was Oscar's arthritis that was flaring up, so he called the vet and got him some medicine. But around 11:00 that same day I noticed that he was shaking while in his kennel. Addi then pointed out about 15 minutes later that he was drooling really bad too. I called Ty about 11:30 and told him Oscar was shaking, drooling, and had sat down in the 30 minutes I had been observing him. Who knows how long he really had been standing. I told Ty that he probably needed to take him in. He was able to take him in about noon to the vet and when he came to get him Oscar was shying away from Ty even holding him which is not normal. The vet told Ty that Oscar was having mini seizures and he had probably been having even smaller ones for a while because the left side of his body was a little less toned. He told Ty that there was probably a tumor that was pressing on his brain that was making him do what he was doing. They decided to put him under sedation for 24 hours to see if that would help reset things. 

It was quite sad because Emmy was calling out for him because he wasn't around. And it was also really weird coming into the house and not being barked at. 

The next morning Ty went back to the vet and things hadn't changed. Oscar was sill having the seizures and was still pretty out of it. The vet suggested to Ty that it was probably time to put him down because there wasn't a whole lot that they could do. Ty came home crying and I felt so so bad for him. He truly loved his dog. Ty went back about 11 to the vet and got to spend some time with Oscar before the inevitable happened. When Ty got back to Debbie's, we buried him. Luckily the kids didn't know Dad was back so it was just him and I that spent some quiet time together. I haven't ever seen Ty cry like that and so of course I was crying along with him. We both started laughing because we were crying over a dog. Ty said it was one of the saddest things to watch because one second he was firm and the next he was went limp. Once we got him buried we both pulled ourselves together and then we were able to be good. I am glad that Ty was home so that he could spend some time with his dog, and that he was the one that was there with him when he got put down. 

Oh Oscar, you will be missed by Ty. But I think I am relieved that you are gone and that Ty was able to say goodbye to you. Ty did say that we won't be getting another dog because what he had to do was horrible and doesn't want to ever do it again. 





Rest in Peace Oscar. Ty buried him in Debbie's yard in his superman shirt. 


1 comment:

The Normans said...

What a hard thing for Ty!! So sorry!