Friday, December 3, 2010

Trying hard

I'm trying hard not to get down and disappointed about Addi's vocabulary. Not that I am disappointed in my daughter that is NOT it at all; it's just that I feel like she is a little behind in her vocabulary skills. I know it will come when she is ready, but it so hard not to rate her when kids her age and younger are speaking so clearly. She tries, but then again she doesn't. She is just now kind of putting together 2 words like "Hi, Mom." I know I shouldn't be bugged by this, but I think every parent doesn't want their child to be behind. I guess it all also feels like I am not doing enough as a parent. I try to explain everything we are doing and what things are. She understands so so much and I know she knows what I am talking about. But it is still just a little hard because I just want her to talk to me. But then part of me doesn't want to rush her in growing up because she is only a baby for so long. So where do you draw the line?

She is a very smart girl at alot of things. She knows what the letter "A" is and she will say it. She is so close to drawing a circle on her paper. She knows how old she is. She is common sense smart. She knows how to figure things out. And she is a very active little girl. Her gross motor skills are amazing and so are her coordination skills. 

I know all kids develop certain things earlier and later than others. I love Addi so much and I so glad that she is my daughter.  I'm really just trying hard to just be patient with this.. 

I'm sorry I just needed to vent my feelings. 

3 comments:

4Battyz said...

Awww.. Chels... Don't worry you are an amazing mom but i can TOTALLY relate to you on being concerned... With Jace being so so so far behind in his overall development i am often struggled with feeling down on myself that its all my fault.. But chels its not at all its not your fault they learn at their own pace and do things at their own pace your an amazing mom and the fact that she can recognize letter a and draw a circle almost is so wonderful!!! She is very smart.. dont worry about her talking she will do it i promise! But if your worried about it i can give you some tips on what the therapists have been doing with jace to make him communicate and its helped a ton.... I would be happy to help just let me know.. Love your guts and you are doing a AWESOME, WONDERFUL JOB!!!.. and Chels keep venting its important to get those feelings out when you need too us moms couldn't survive if we couldn't vent every once in awhile :)

Ashley said...

Chelsie, you are doing amazing!!! I look up to you as a mom I hope you know that! Even though Kaylee and Addi are just a few months apart they are SOOOOOO different! Addi is so grown up and I feel like Kaylee is still so baby so often. I know that it's hard to not compare your child to another. My sister has a "genious" 3 year old that I am constantly comparing Kaylee too, which sucks because then you feel like you are the one failing because they aren't at the level you think they should be at...really NO ONE is failing! Patience is key! I think it's amazing that Addi knows "a", totally awesome! So this just popped into my head - maybe these milestones can be likened to activities/hobbies/sports. Not everyone that tries basketball is going to be great at it right off the bat. Some kids might be naturals, yes, but others won't be...however that doesn't mean that they can't be absolutely great at playing basketball through hard work and practice. I have no idea what the actual numbers would be but i'm sure if you were to look you'd find both "naturals" and "hard workers" among those in the NBA! :) Bottom line: you are doing great, Addi is doing great period. everyone has their strengths and weaknesses with everything even little babies like ours...I need to remind myself of this fact more often too.

The Millers said...

Okay I am so glad that Im not the only one who is going through this right now. Exact same thing with Mason. He is so so smart and he understands everything that I say. If I tell him to go get his shoes, he will go get them, stuff like that, HE TOTALLY UNDERSTANDS. I get frustrated alot and I always ask Mark, What am I not doing right? because just like you I break everything down for him. We just have to keep our hopes up and hopefully one day they will just start talking like crazy.