Sunday, August 8, 2010

UBIC Triathlon

First off I just want to thank everyone for the words of encouragement! It was so nice to know that I had people backing me up. 

Well, I am still alive (thank goodness). Saturday morning came and boy was I nervous. On Thursday, Ty got me a bike (a really nice road bike). I never knew there was such a huge difference from a road bike and a "walmart" bike. It rides so much better. Then on Friday I went to go take a ride and my back tire was flat. I knew for sure it was a sign that I shouldn't race. Ty played softball until 12:30 that night and so he came home and fixed my tire and didn't get done until 2 in the morning. I have such a great husband! We then had to wake up at 4:30 and go get Amy by 5. So needless to say neither Ty or I got much sleep the night before and that made me a little nervous.

 We got to Roosevelt by 5:30 and checked in. We were number 572!

 The events went swim, bike, & run. 
(1/6 mile swim, 13 mile ride, and 3 mile run).

Joni got out of the pool and then it was my turn. The course started off with 2 huge hills. My goal to myself was to not stop. And I met my goal!! I may have slowed way down, but I never got off the bike. It wasn't a too bad of course, but there were a couple hills that were pretty brutal. I can't tell you how proud I am of myself and of my team. I feel like I accomplished something and it is always nice to feel that way. I also haven't done something for myself like this in a long time! So to know that I did it was such an awesome feeling. 

After we were all finished we waited around to hear the times and such. There was the 
Mens dvision
Womens division 
&
the teams division

We were standing there listening and when it came time for them to announce the team standings we were all anxious to hear the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. None of us really expected us to place. We were all just excited we finished it. They announced the 1st place team. Then they announced the 2nd place team...

Olson/Jensen/Ewell

WHAT?!?! 

We all just stood there and looked at each other like "did we just hear that right?!" Sure enough we took 2nd out of 6 teams. How cool is that? We all had perma grins on our faces. We were so happy we finished and then extra happy we actually placed in the top 3. 

Our time was 1 hour and 17 minutes. Not to bad for not having very much training right? 
Wahoo for us :) :) 


When we first arrived bright and early
Joni, Amy, & Chelsie
aka team "Macho Moms" 



Go team 72




 Waiting for Joni to finish (and isn't my bike cute?)


After we all had finished


When we found out we took 2nd place. 
Even at church we all couldn't get over how well we had done. 
Maybe next year we will do it again!
but definitely with more time to train


And last, but not least... I couldn't have done this without the support of my biggest fan. 
Thanks for believing in me and giving me the support I needed. 
I'm such a lucky girl! 

8 comments:

Erin said...

That's so awesome that you guys took 2nd! All of your pictures are so cute. I wouldn't be that cheerful after a 13 mile bike ride. Lol. Good work ;)

Kassi Luck said...

wow!! good job!! You are ambitious!!

4Battyz said...

Way to go Chels!!! That is awesome i look up to you! Someday i'll be able to do that!

Ben and Marcie said...

Great job! I'm so impressed! I honestly don't think I could have done it! It always feels so good to accomplish something!!

Unknown said...

That's so awesome! I'm so happy for you!

JWPhillips said...

Awesome job Chels! That is great you didn't stop once the whole ride. Taking second is a HUGE deal!! I'm so happy you did it. The training before sucks, but the races are so addicting. Expecially the high after finishing!

Anonymous said...

So SOOO proud of you! That is HUGE! And good for you for proving to yourself that you could accomplish this! There is something inside of us that needs to prove it and what better way than to participate in a TRIATHLON! So so proud :)

Kayla said...

Ahh! This is so exciting! I'm glad there are pics! Love it! Congrats on the 2nd place! You guys rock! I can't believe you rode 13 miles on a bike! Holy! I could never do that!