Why not?
How come?
Those are words we hear all the time. Addi's new favorite is "Why not?" lately. I know I have asked my fare share of why's as well.
We had stake conference recently and Elder Monday, from the seventy, came to speak to us. Ty and I went to the adult session and I came out of that meeting feeling the spirit and feeling that some things needed to change in my life.
What really hit home was something Elder Monday spoke about and I think almost all of us can relate to this. He told of a story where at another stake conference they had 2 high school kids come up and tell the congregation what our church was about. In summary, they said we don't drink, we don't date before we are 16, we don't smoke, we don't.. we don't.. we don't.. you get the picture. I'm sure most of us can think of things about the church that we should and shouldn't do, but what Elder Monday said is, Why? Why don't we do this and that... Everyone is forgetting to tell and teach the why's. Instead, we focus on the What's and How's. Or when a why question is asked, we usually hear: because, or that's just what we do, or I don't know.
Elder Monday taught us that we need to answer these why questions, and teach the why's because that is how our testimony is built, and that is what we fall back on when we struggle. (I hope this making sense) I really felt like I need to start teaching our Primary and my family the why's and also to answer why questions with honesty and not blow off the question. I have started to do this with Addi when she asks questions because she is curious and I need her to know that a why question is taken seriously when she asks. Or tell her before she even asks, why we do something or certain things. I know she isn't very old, but I feel like she needs to start now.
I'm not sure why this has been on my mind for the past couple of days, but it must mean I have some things to change. Why? Because I'm not perfect and I feel like this simple task of answering why's is something people are missing in their life. I know some of my why questions were/are answered and some were/are not.
If you ask yourself why you do the things you do, or why you believe what you do; I believe it can bring out the real you.
Why did I let my son eat dirt?
Honestly, I thought it was funny and cute. Second, you aren't a kid if you haven't tried dirt.
A little dirt won't hurt.
Why do I let my daughter wear her pajama's the majority of the time?
Because she loves them. And she is not naked. She will let me change her into real clothes when we go out and about, but the second we come home she wants her jammies on.
3 comments:
Love this post! (I'm just like Addi - whenever I am home I am in my sweats!) :)
Great post Chels :) Good reminder for me. And I think it's great Parker ate dirt haha.
I lvoe the post!! What a great reminder!! This is definately something I need to work on and try harder at. Thank you!!! It is so true!!
Post a Comment